Saturday, June 2, 2012

After a quiet and very lonely night at my campsite I headed back into Mt. Rainier NP to explore and see what I could see....Oh did I mention that my campsite was primitive?  No flush toilets, running water or showers.  Good thing I'm only here two nights.

Anyway, back at the park I encountered a very lovely doe grazing in a lower meadow.
And finally I found the very creature I sought.  The giant banana slug.  Actually I found several.  None were the lovely yellow color I had anticipated but all were equally slimy.  I did not fear the giant slug for I knew I could outrun the beast.


Ya just can't get enough of these adorable critters!










And here's my shameless plug for a Columbus area outdoor sporting goods store.












I drove out toward the Ohanapecosh area of the park.  Back up the mountain again but this time there was even more snow than on Paradise Rd.


















WANTED:  Serious hikers for ridiculously difficult hiking adventure.  With a little luck we might find you sometime later this summer when the snow melts.













Back in town I stopped at the Wildberry Restaurant where I dined on "Sherpa" fare.  I tried the Kukhura Ko Masu.  It had lentil soup, curry chicken, toasted bread and some very spicy pickle-like vegetables (lower right).  The meal was tasty but very over priced.
My perfect weather streak came to an end sometime during my last night of camping at Mt. Rainier.  By dawn it was a steady rain and a large puddle was forming just outside my "front" door.  I quickly packed up my very wet and now muddy gear and headed to Seattle.  No time for breakfast this morning.  All I wanted to do was get to my hotel and take a long, hot shower.



Mileage since leaving Columbus:  4400.

Next up:  Seattle and Vancouver, BC. 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Marcia. Thanks for sharing it. Wishing you many fun travel days ahead before you go back to that 4 -letter word.

    ReplyDelete