Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 7th was my final night of camping.  I had new campsite neighbors.  All in RVs and apparently speaking in foreign languages.  Not particularly friendly.  So once again a lonely night.

I kinda wish the snorer stayed another night as the critter activity was a bit too close to my tent again.  Damn I wish that hoot owl would hurry up and eat whatever that is that's nibbling near my front door.

Not much sleep again but at least the temperature was comfortable and it wasn't raining. 

Total miles driven so far:  6,150


On 6/8 I packed up my gear and headed south out of Yellowstone NP and almost immediately into the Grand Teton National Park.  This is a very small park with some pretty dramatic mountain scenery.  Along the way I crossed the Continental Divide (again).


I stopped at several locations in the Grand Teton park to check out the mountains.  What views!
I was still in bear country and still hoping to see some bears.  But this is all I saw.




So now the long drive home.  My route through WY put me on a dirt/gravel road for a while at elevations over 9,000 ft.  Slow going.
Then through the desert again with an overnight stay in Cheyenne.  On 6/9 I made it to St. Joseph, MO.  Along the way I drove through Iowa...for about 10 minutes.  Yep, just a piece of that state.  

Wish I had a little more time in St. Joseph.  There was a Stetson outlet store near my hotel.  After all, you can't come home from the Wild West without a cowboy (or cowgirl) hat.  Alas it was Sunday and the store was closed.

The drive home from St. Joseph was long and monotonous.  Thanks to construction, traffic and that locust plague in Illinois it took 12 hours!
The photo doesn't do it justice but the front of my car was covered with an assortment of dead bugs.


It's good to be home!  Total miles driven:  7,907   And totally worth it.

Hope you enjoyed my blog.  I'd love to hear your comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment